Thursday, September 3, 2009

Happy Hippie Radio, Pt. 1

When I first began listening to FM radio in late 1970-early '71 (previously, I had been a fan of KHJ in Los Angeles and KFRC in San Francisco), it was a result, oddly enough, of the simulcasts done by television station KQED from the Fillmore (and Winterland). I particularly remember the big show done the night Janis Joplin died; it seemed like the biggest thing in the universe, with a guy holding a microphone running around to interview anyone willing to reveal his or her private grief. It was like 9/11, if you can imagine it, to this teenager. After that, what was there to do but tap the pulse of modern album-oriented music by tuning-in to stations like KSAN and KSFX.

And it seemed that those radio station played many of the same songs over and over, just as their AM cousins did -- not in 3-hour rotations, but still...

What this portion is about, is some of the songs that I remember hearing many, many times during my first year of listening to what we once called "Underground Radio".

On The Lam


Song List:

01. Allman Brothers Band - Midnight Rider
02. The Band - The Shape I'm In
03. Moby Grape - Murder In My Heart For The Judge
04. Humble Pie - 30 Days In The Hole

No comments: