Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Marathon, Pt. 4

It's a Crackpot Christmas, from 2005! Somehow, I skipped 2004, perhaps because I did 3 mixes in '03. Then again, that doesn't explain how I could skip 2006 - '08, which I did, and may yet skip '09. Perhaps Christmas mixes have become too goddam common. It was about the time when I constructed this thing that it became so easy to find Christmas Constructions from The Web that you could easily download more than it was possible for one person to listen to, during the season, without risking severe dementia.

This baby is about halfway between the two preceding mixes, in regard to amusement vs. offensiveness. There's bad taste and cuss-words in a few songs, but most of them are not so bad.

A couple of songs here are so stupid that I can't think what I was thinking when I included them, and I wouldn't mind if you left them out if you decided to make a CD of this anthology. A few more are my favorites of this or any other mix -- The Tradewinds' "New York's A Lonely Town", in particular, is one of my all-time favorite Christmas songs even though it never makes the slightest mention of the holidays at all. I'm guessing that I first heard it during during a Christmas Eve substitute DJ shift on KPFA back in '76.

Let me be your jackass Santa Claus

Song list:

01 - Pete Rugolo - Jingle Bells Mambo
02 - The Cocktail Preachers - Linus And Lucy
03 - DJ John - The Christmas Massacre of Charlie Brown
04 - The Christmas Project - It's Xmas And I've Got A Hangover
05 - Billy Beau - Santa's Coffee
06 - Babs Gonzales - Teenage Santa Claus
07 - Gatemouth Moore with The Tiny Grimes Swingtet - Xmas Blues
08 - Hank Thompson - I'd Like To Have An Elephant For Christmas
09 - HP Lovecraft Historical Society - Carol Of The Old Ones
10 - Jason and The Straptones - I Found The Brains Of Santa Claus
11 - Rev Frost - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
12 - The Tradewinds - New York's A Lonely Town
13 - Mr Green Jeans - Crackerjack Christmas
14 - Louis Prima - Shake Hands With Santa Claus
15 - Linda Scott - Christmas Day
16 - Buck and Sandy Dharma - Baby It's Cold Outside
17 - Michael Landon - Santa Got Lost In Texas
18 - Kelley Ryan - It's Not Christmas
19 - Trailer Trash - Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Xmas
20 - Red Peters - Holy Shit It's Christmas
21 - Mel Blanc - Yah Das Ist Ein Christmas Tree
22 - Red Simpson - Truckin' Trees For Christmas
23 - The Christmas Jug Band - Somebody Stole My Santa Claus Suit
24 - Sonny Cash - Merry Xmas Polka
25 - Duke Tumatoe and The Power Trio - Christmas At Grandma's
26 - Voicedude - Santabenz
27 - June Christy - The Merriest (Thunderball Mix)
28 - RIAA - Santa's Acid Hawaiian Space Disco (Excerpt)
29 - Kids of Children's Psychiatric Hospital - O Come All Ye Faithful

PS: Oh, and that's Dan Hicks, if you're like me and care, who's singing in front of
The Christmas Jug Band.

No comments: