Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy Hippie Radio

As promised, here's the complete version of the Happy Hippie Radio mix CD; if you're interested and haven't downloaded all the parts, just download this one -- it has all the same music as the individual episodes, in the same order.

This was my third attempt at making a mix of the kind of music I remember from listening to KSAN-FM, San Francisco, circa 1971, so I pretty much knew how I wanted it to go. There were some difficult choices to make, obviously, in condensing the times down to roughly 79 minutes, and some things got cut. If you're wondering why there's no Grateful Dead here, for instance, well... the station didn't really play all that much -- and when they did, it was usually "Uncle John's Band" or "Casey Jones" or "New Speedway Boogie", none of which I ever want to hear again. Besides, according to legend, Jerry Garcia is present here as the pedal-steel guitar player on "One Toke Over The Line".

Several of the choices to represent certain bands could have been different: "Coming Your Way" probably should have been "Oh Well" or "Station Man", but the song I used was representative enough and was the one I most wanted to hear; "Mama Told Me Not to Come" should have been "Yellow Man", and "Apeman" should have been "Lola", based on how well I remember hearing those songs, but the numbers I used fit the mix better; the Traffic, Steve Miller and John Prine tracks could have all been any of at least 2 or 3 other songs apiece -- and probably will be when I do this again.

Ah well, it's been fun, especially the music. Stay tuned!

The fake jive 95 is here.

Song list:

01 - The Allman Brothers Band - Midnight Rider
02 - The Band - The Shape I'm In
03 - Moby Grape - Murder In My Heart For The Judge
04 - Humble Pie - 30 Days In The Hole
05 - Spirit - Animal Zoo
06 - The Kinks - Apeman
07 - John Simon - The Song of the Elves
08 - Santana - Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen
09 - Fleetwood Mac - Coming Your Way
10 - Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World
11 - Quicksilver Messenger Service - Fresh Air
12 - The Fraternity of Man - Don't Bogart Me
13 - Brewer and Shipley - One Toke Over The Line
14 - Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen -
Seeds and Stems (Again)
15 - Randy Newman - Mama Told Me Not to Come
16 - Donovan - Season Of The Witch
17 - Traffic - Feelin' Alright?
18 - Steve Miller Band - Your Saving Grace
19 - Mike d'Abo - Handbags and Gladrags
20 - John Prine - Your Flag Decal Won't Get You
Into Heaven Anymore
21 - The Youngbloods - Hippie From Olema

No comments: